19 July 2009

F.M.S.R No. 1 Lokomotif Terawal Negara

FMSR 1
PERAK (nama awal) adalah lokomotif pertama sekali diperkenalkan dalam sistem rangkaian keretapi di Tanah Melayu. Lokomotif berkuasa wap ini dibawa masuk melalui
'The Crown Agents' (Straits Settlements) , di datangkan dari England oleh pembuatnya 'Ransomes and Rapier, pada 18 May 1881 untuk Keretapi Kerajaan Negeri Perak (Perak State Railway).

Pertama kalinya ia digunakan sebagai enjin untuk kerja pembinaan landasan antara Taiping dan Port Weld. Apabila lokomotif ini di serap menjadi sebahagian daripada keluarga FMSR pada tahun 1901 ia dinamakan sebagai F.M.S.R No. 1 seterusnya dihantar ke Sentul Work untuk kerja-kerja 'shunter'. Lokomotif ini telah diberhentikan perkhidmatannya pada tahun 1916 sehingga ia 'hilang' pada tahun 1916 ~ 1920.

Lady Clarke
The second locomotive was actually much older than PERAK and arrived in Malaya much earlier. LADY CLARKE was an 0-4-4T, Dübs 742/1874, Indian State Railway B class number 89.

In 1875 it was sold to the Maharaja of Johore, possibly for use on the short-lived Johore Wooden Railway, and later arrived on the Selangor Government Railway where it hauled the inaugural passenger train from Klang to Kuala Lumpur on 15th September 1885, being named LADY CLARKE after the wife of the Governor. It was withdrawn in 1893 following a collision but must have been repaired as it went on to become FMSR No 2 in 1901 and survived until scrapping in December 1912.

FMSR 3
The third locomotive was R W Hawthorn 2046/1885, an 0-6-0ST with 14" x 20" cylinders and 3' 6" driving wheels, believed to have been named LILY or LILLY while on the Selangor Government Railway. It became FMSR 3 in 1901 and survived until scrapping in August 1924.

FMSR 4
In 1888 a metre gauge 0-4-0ST was supplied by Kerr Stuart (at that time known as Dick, Kerr & Co) and sent to Port Dickson on order number 537.

It was built by Andrew Barclay as works number 309 and named SUNJEI UJONG, having 9" x 17" outside cylinders and 2' 6½" driving wheels. It later went to the Selangor Government Railway where it is believed to have been named LEILA and in 1901 became FMSR 4. In 1909 it was sold to a contractor for use on the G.K.S. Railway.

FMSR 14
Hudswell Clarke 4-4-0T 364/1890 had outside cylinders 11" x 17" and 3' 3" driving wheels with a rigid wheelbase of 6' 6". The bogie wheels were 2' diameter and the weight in working order was 22 tons.

It went to the Selangor Government Railway, possibly as an alternate to the A/B class, and was named LADY MAXWELL. It became FMSR 14 and was scrapped in 1911. Photograph reproduced with permission from the Stephenson Locomotive Society, it is thought to be from the H M le Fleming collection.

FMSR 15
0-4-0ST Dick Kerr 59/1893 went to the Selangor Government Railway and was believed to be named SYSYPHUS. It became FMSR 15 in 1901 and was scrapped in 1908.

LILLY and SYSYPHUS
le Fleming states that although the particulars for FMSR 3, 4 & 15 are correct the order of names are not certain. Note also that the spelling in his 1936 list states LILLY and SYSYPHUS while the 1938 list states LILY and SISYPHUS

Windsor
Kerr Stuart supplied a metre gauge 0-4-0IST, Bagnalls 1092 of November 1889, to India, with 8" x 12" cylinders and 3' driving wheels. The owner was not identified and it was later used in Malaya - no further details available.

JOHORE , SIR HUGH LOWE and PENANG
Kerr Stuart also supplied locomotives and equipment for the Penang Steam Tramway. The first locomotive was supposedly from Kitson but their records have no mention of this, although they supplied 16 to the Singapore Tramway in 1885 and 1887. The were two others from Falcon Engine & Car Works in 1885 & 1887 and named JOHORE and SIR HUGH LOWE respectively and another was named PENANG.

Detail info Click Here

No comments: